I decided to try and make one of these but I wanted it beefy and sturdy. I put on three coats of cement on the outside and two on the inside. I ran out of Terra Cotta pigment so with what little I had left I just put it in a cup of water and threw it on with a brush.
Here is some more information about how I went about it that may be interesting or useful. It was all trial and error but I knew in the end I wanted a beefy draped planter that was a rich terracotta color. Like I said in another post Home Depot doesn't carry in store the Quikrete terracotta pigment anymore, at least in the Portland area and I could not find it anywhere else. Lowe's had it in powder form and I tried that in some of the coats but it was just a blah, dull brown. After the final coat of cement had dried I put what I had of the liquid terracotta in a cup of water and threw it at the pot with a brush hoping to get a sort of dry brush affect which was the end result shown in the third picture. I wasn't happy with that so I ordered more of the liquid Quikrete terracotta online. It showed up after about a week and this time in two different sessions I just painted it on with a brush after mixing it with water. I have rinsed the pot several times and the color has stuck, at least for now despite not having been a part of the cement mix.
Last Edit: Aug 11, 2017 13:19:11 GMT -5 by dagoboz